Sunday, February 24, 2013

favorite combinations

Those who know me well will not be surprised when I say that movie popcorn and a trip to the local movie theater is a favorite combination of mine.  I swear there is something added to that popcorn that creates a chemical addiction.....but, that is not the reason for this post.  :)

I was watching the Rachael Ray talk show the other day and she made a quick and easy "snack" (although I had it as a meal) called bacon cheeseburger quesadillas.   The brilliance of combining two delicious comfort foods was not lost on me.

So I tried my own version of it at home the other day......and it was delicious.  And easy. 
And just so you don't think I'm the only one with this opinion, my sister was over for dinner and it won her approval before I even asked if she liked it.  ;)

Here are the ingredients I used inside the quesadillas-- although you could add any favorite toppings you fancy!  RR used bacon in hers....but I didn't have any on hand, or you know I would have.
Bacon is up there with movie popcorn for me in its crack-like-addictiveness. 

 
The first step was making the meat-- which I did the other night so I don't have pictures of that process.  But really, it's browning meat.  No rocket science there.
 
I added some seasonings that I would add to a hamburger (grill seasoning and "garlic garlic" from
Tastefully Simple).  I also added a large squirt (maybe a few tablespoons) of mustard and ketchup (a little more ketchup than mustard).  That's the "meat sauce" for the quesadillas.  
I think next time I'm going to add some chopped onions to the meat while it's browning. 
I'm not a huge raw onion lover, but I looove me some cooked onions.
 

 
Heat up a tortilla in a skillet.  Medium to Medium High Heat.
 Flip it once.
I just wanted it to be a little warm before adding the ingredients.

 
Add a sprinkling of your favorite shredded cheese to be the "glue" for the other ingredients. 
I used a blend of different cheddars.
Do this only on half of the tortilla since you're going to fold over the other half.

Then add the meat, and a little more cheese.
Or a lot more.
 

 
Pile on the toppings- I used chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles.
And I kind of went a little crazy on the toppings, which made for a very thick quesadilla.

 
Fold over the other half. 
Get a little forceful with it if you are overzealous with the toppings like I was.

 
Then take out your aggressions and press/smack down on the top of it until it starts to melt together. 
And yes, you're going to have a little mess as the toppings try to escape.
But you can show them who's boss. 
(I'm really not an agressive person, but I like to pretend I am while I cook.  Sorry.)

 
Flip it over a few times until the tortilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese seem to be completely melted.
Or until you can't wait any longer.
Whichever comes first.

 
I like to use a pizza cutter to slice my quesadilla into wedges.
 

 
And here is the best part.....ready to eat!
It really does taste like a cheeseburger and a quesadilla all in one.
A lovely combination.
 
This might be the perfect snack/meal for you tonight if you're like me and going to be glued to the TV for a few hours to watch the Academy Awards.
 
What's your favorite combination-- food or otherwise?

0 comments:

Post a Comment